Extracurricular activities are defined as those activities which are not the components of the academic curriculum but an integral part of the educational environment. Extracurricular activities comprise sports, singing, music, debate, dance, drama, social services, etc.
Schools can play a pivotal role by channelizing energy of both normal as well as physically challenged students into a fruitful direction of personality development through extra-curricular activities.
It is important for adolescents to participate in extracurricular activities. The student who participate in these activities improve their academic scores and social life. Extracurricular activities can also help reduce many peer pressure related problems.
“They enrich the lives of the students, their families, and our communities. These activities create well-rounded children who learn what their interests and talents are because they have been exposed to such opportunities”.
For most adolescents, extracurricular activities should be required among what they do outside of the classroom.
Extracurricular Activity Importance
There following are the importance of extracurricular activities:
- The classroom teaching-learning environment get strengthens by extracurricular activities.
- No doubt, classroom teaching is utmost important, yet for aesthetic development, character enrichment, spiritual and physical growth, extracurricular activities are equally relevant.
- The features and traits like the extempore expression, speech fluency, co-ordination & communication, adjustments, etc, get empowered with co-curricular activities.
- Extracurricular activities enable the students to express themselves freely. Inculcate the values of co-operation.
- It is a means of developing skills and competence. Different extracurricular activities have their own significance i.e. Debate helps to generate ideas and giving reasons and counter-reasons.
- Sometimes, learning-teaching become monotonous; this can be changed into the pleasant atmosphere by participating in extra-curricular activities.
- Co-curricular activities help to prepare you for your future challenge.
- Extracurricular activities enable to groom the students for future leadership.
At West Hatch School, we ensure our students take part in all extracurricular activities to enable them to reap the benefits as listed above.